February 7, 2011

Reality Hits!

Today, Melissa taught in the morning! Her kindergarten students were so happy to see her! She and I went to school yesterday and worked in her clasroom for a short time. I wanted her first time back after chemo to be as smooth as possible.  Her classroom looked fabulous! What a great sub!

Melissa teaching this morning.

The school counselor walked into the classroom to discuss with the children Melissa's illness. Melissa showed the children her wig and also her gauze bandage that covered her incision and the port. The little ones listened well and then proceeded to tell their own stories of being sick and how they throw up sometimes!:) The counselor brought in a stuffed teddy bear and plans to read "When Bear Gets Sick" on her next visit.

Melissa handled the morning beautifully! In fact, she has handled her first chemo treatment well. She tires easily. Melissa is learning her health has to become her priorty.The hard part for Melissa is to ease back from her classroom! She loves her job! She is learning that it is OKAY to ask for help.....and she is blessed with a staff who is so WILLING to help!

Tomorrow is Parent-Teacher Conferences. She plans to teach in the morning, rest in the afternoon, and then return later in the day for the conferences. Steve is her chauffeur as he is "Driving Miss Daisy" back and forth!

Besides resting in the afternoon, Steve, Melissa, and I have an appointment to meet with our parish pastor, Fr. Shane. Not only is he our pastor,but a very good friend. Melissa is so at ease with him and is looking forward to our visit. We are so blessed!   Thank you for all your prayers and support. We are taking it day by day and are grateful for all of you! Melissa loves knowing that everyone is there for her!!! Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Melissa. I'm a friend of Aimee's family. I've been praying for you since I heard about your diagnosis. Five years ago my husband was diagnosed with Stage 4, Hodgkins and Non Hodgkins aka Composite Lymphoma-extremely rare. His chemo cocktail was "CHOP+R". His oncologist declared him cured in December, 2010! You will beat this too. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Sincerely, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa. My name is Kira and I am in your graduate class with Deb Stuto on Tuesday nights. I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Can't wait to see you back in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, your classroom looks so cute and like a fun place to learn! I'm sure your students were happy to see you! Lots of love and prayers being sent your way! ♥ you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,
    My husband and are here anytime you need anything and if we can do anything. My husband's situation is a bit different, but if you ever wanted to talk about anything, he is open. We are thinking of you!

    Katie and Matt Mendlick

    ReplyDelete